Rebuild finished!

Posted in General at 1:52 pm by jw

It took 48 hours but it finally finished.  Updated the kernel to 2.6.12–gentoo-r9 and messed with the config some then rebooted.  Splat – nothing worked.  Always helps to do “make modules_install” before you try to reboot or it can’t load device drivers for ANYTHING!  Oh well – reboot again and things are back and running as good as new.

A couple of things I learned:

  • “screen” is really good for doing huge long compiles on a headless machine.  Having the compile terminate because your connection dies is a pain.
  • “emerge —resume” is good when things break, especially when I remember it’s there.
  • always remember to “make modules_install” or things die horribly on reboot.
  • building 300+ packages on a Duron 750 is sloooow.

In other news, I’m still playing Dungeon Siege 2 when I’m not playing EQ2.  Still reminding me more and more of a Diablo 2 sequel.  Lots of fun!

I’m also working on compiling my game collection.  I own a lot of junk!

1 Comment »

  1. Bahd Zoolander Said:

    August 28, 2005 at 10:19 am

    You should be happy. I did a stage 1 install on a Pentium II 400. It took a week even after I got really bored and got distcc working.

Leave a Comment